FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
COLUMBUS, OH – After more than 30 years, Columbus will once again host Ohio’s largest minority focused exhibition celebrating African American culture, the Ohio Black Expo. Taking place Memorial Day weekend, May 26th – 29th at Genoa Park in downtown Columbus and surrounding locations, thousands are expected to gather for what will be both an educational and empowering series of events.
“This year’s Ohio Black Expo is a chance to lift up Black-owned businesses, entrepreneurs, and celebrate Black culture in Ohio,” stated CEO, Sherri Hamilton.
With a full weekend of activities, workshops, food, vendors, arts and entertainment and more, attendees can enjoy all aspects of the Expo. Weekend activities include the Riverfront Cultural Fest, Business Conference, Seniors and Caregivers workshop, Health and Wellness workshop, the Black Educators Professional Happy Hour Event, the Black Couples Networking Event, Black Veterans Networking Reception, and culminating with Keys to Black Wealth.
Highlights for the weekend will include performances by R&B and Afrobeat artist/actor Rotimi (well known for his role on the TV series Power) and powerhouse Kelly Price, as well as guest appearances that include Shirley Murdock, Nia Dennis, and Zia Cooke who will be inducted into the Ohio Black Expo Hall of Fame. Community members will also be honored throughout the weekend. Sunday begins with Praise and Worship in the morning leading up to a unity prayer for families affected by trauma. Bro. Nuri Muhammad will deliver a special message for youth. The festival concludes with live band performances with Reggae by the Flex Crew, Go-Go by the Deal Breakers, and Jazz-hop and Neo-Soul by the Liquid Crystal Project.
The final event features edutainment by Keys to Black Wealth. The event will highlight a sneak preview of the new film B1 The Movie with a guest appearance by Atlanta filmmaker Ric Mathis.
- 9:00 am – 3:00 pm – “Getting Our Piece of the Pie,” Business Conference, Venture Suite, 780 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Columbus, OH 43203. Registration is required at ohioblackexpo.com (FREE)
- 9:00 am – 11:00 am – Senior and Caregivers Workshop, Venture Suite, 780 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Columbus, OH 43203. Workshop will provide resources, information and helpful tips, with a focus on Alzheimer’s and associated dementias. Registration is required. (FREE)
- Noon – 2:00 pm – “Strengthening Our Immune System to Fight COVID and more!”- Health and Wellness Workshop, Venture Suite, 780 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Columbus, OH 43203. Registration is required.
- 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm – Black Educators Professional Happy Hour, LaSalle’s Southern Kitchen and Bar, 30 S. Young Street, Cols., OH 43215. Free entry, jazz band, food and more. (Hosted by Doc West)
- 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm – Black Couples Networking event, Marlow’s Cheesesteaks, 93 N. High St., Gahanna, OH 43230. Hosted by Epiphany Hill and Hill Management Consulting
- 4:00 pm – 9:00 pm – Black Tech Networking Event, Addella’s On Oak, 1485 Oak St, Columbus, OH 43205
- 5:00 – 8:00 pm – Networking event for Entrepreneurs and Professionals, Flavor 91 Bistro, 5186 E. Main St, Whitehall, OH 43213. Hosted by COAACC.
- 11:00 am – 11:00 pm, Culture Fest, Genoa Park/Scioto Mile (W. Rich St. and S. Civic Center Dr.)
Tickets are required for this event
- 10:00 am – 7:00 pm – Culture Fest (Same location)
- 7:30 pm – Keys to Black Wealth (Think Tank and Conversation on B1 the movie), King Arts Complex, 835 Mt. Vernon Ave., Cols., OH 43203
For additional information regarding weekend events or to purchase tickets go to: ohioblackexpo.com.